Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Road Trip-- Part One


So the trip started off nice. I wasn't able to sleep but I figured I could snooze in the car and then take over driving at night, sparing my mom the strain on her eyes. Right as we finished loading my car-- our source of comfort for the next week or so-- the sun was just peeking over the eastern horizon and I ended up taking a picture of a plant in our front yard. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time, I just captured Nature's true beauty.

We made really good progress trucking it through the rest of Arizona. I had told Mother that I thought it would be cool to see the Hoover Dam, being our last name and all. As my younger sister was passed out in the crammed backseat, we made the decision to see the dam.

Dodging the walking tourists, we putted through the damn. I had seen it once when it was nigthfall, the time I had left my ex (another rant and rave, I'll save you the tall tale), and it was just enjoyable to see it during the day, and really see what I drove through.

We pulled over on one of the allowed pull-out areas and I snapped a photo of the Hoover Damn. I sent a photo to a friend of mine saying 'I am damned', jokingly, the photo being the proof. My Mother and her snap-happy-trigger finger were madly taking photos of the damn. Of course I nodded happily having a stronger camera than my phone, but knew this would eventually come a hinderance as the trip progressed. (And I was right...)

After getting lost in North Las Vegas for an hour, after Mother stopped following the directions and started yelling at Karen that she was wrong-- Karen being what I call my phone when I use the GPS-- as I rolled my eyes and just begged her to listen.

Soon after the incident we were off. My younger sister again passed out in the backseat and my own eyes feeling heavy as well. I attempted to take a snooze, afterall I spent the night packing and too psyched up for the trip. My own doing but nonetheless I felt a nap would satisfy my thirst for sleep. As we kept driving and I started nodding off, a loud un-pleasant sound reached my ears and woke me from sleep. My mother was checking around the slow trucks to see if she could pass. The deep ridges in the middle and to the sides are annoying, yes, but they have a purpose. They are to keep sleepy truck drivers from making a grave mistake. And although I curse the indentations in the road, I knew what there true purpose was and held my tongue.

A few more hours had passed and I have some sleep under my belt. We were close to the town of Ely, Nevada-- where I was going to pick up the driving for the rest of the trip. The sun was just passing over the hills as zipped through Ely and we did the driver exchange, also stretching out the legs of these unseasoned travelers.As we traveled and Mother took a turn sleeping, my sister and I sang along to songs on the radio and chatted about our ventures in World of Warcraft and excited to see what Idaho looked like and the strange woman who we called 'Aunt' (Step Aunt technically...). We reached Boise and soon we were headed to our destination of Weiser, Idaho.
As much as I would like to indulge in our stay with our dearest Aunt, I do not wish to flare the anger that I had to endure. Mother had trained my sister and I well, for we just bite out tongue as Aunt. The one thing I learned from the stay with Aunt, was that despite her temper and flambouyant nature, she had the most beautiful sunflower garden.

Now-- I have to leave as we are getting ready to leave for Washington state, our final desination in the trip before we return home. I am not certain if we have internet or not, but I will be taking photos and documenting the trip.

--Blessed Be 

No comments:

Post a Comment