Thursday, July 19, 2012

Getting my fingers dirty---

Today I was busy away crafting and starting the begining stages of tools.

I spent the most of the morning, de-barking and shaving down the stick for new wand. I spend a good few hours while I watched some tv, mainly reruns of Anthony Bordain's No Reservations and giggling at his sense of humor.

After about 2 hours and the largest pile of shaving I have ever created and mostly satisfied with my work, I began the grueling task of sanding my wand. After about 5 minutes I was covered in sawdust as well as my poor cat who, Tigger (lilac-point siamese, and don't let the blue eyes fool you!) was cleaning himself at my feet. I couldn't resist and spent a few minutes playing with him before going back to my work. In total I spent about 3 hours on my wand. And I didn't even put the adornments on, mainly since I know that will take even longer to do. I really want to take my time on this wand, and make it a work of art that I can keep and treasure of many years to come.

Finishing my goal for my wand, I knew I had to finish my ink before my family and I went on our annual roadtrip to Washington. I used some of the shaving from the wand I was making, as well as Calendula (marigold), Mugwort, and Jasmine. I used a clean jar I had gotten at Micheals for 0.49 cents (can you say bargin?) and crushed the herbs with my motar and pestle. I place the herbs inside of the little jar and then covered them in the black ink.

The purpose of this ink is to write the spell pages in Book. And after writing said pages, if there is any ink left, I would like to use for when I need to write in spell casting. I would have loved to make my own natural ink but one thing kept bugging me in my mind-- I wanted to create this book to hand down or atleast last a long time. So I wanted to use an ink that would stay well and last through the ages of time. I know it won't last forever but atleast be able to withstand me.

No comments:

Post a Comment